The changing weather, colors, and foods are why I love autumn. But there is one must in this recipe box every fall, and that is the Fall Chicken Chili. The blend of colorful vegetables, chili-seasoned chicken and warming spices match the relaxing day bundled under blankets and watching Hallmark movies.
Excited to see this recipe featured in this month’s Kirkwood Lifestyle Magazine.
Fall Chicken Chili
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (4oz) cans of green chilies
- 1 (15 oz) can of Rotel fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 cups chicken broth, or water
- 2 pounds chicken breast 3-4 breast
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can great northern white beans
- 1 1/2 cup corn, fresh or canned
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Garnish options: shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, green onions, candied jalapenos, cilantro
- Blend the spices together. Reserve 1 Tbsp and season chicken breast. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, heat up 2 Tbsp. of oil, then add the onions, yellow bell pepper, and jalapeno. Saute for 5-7 minutes. Add in the remaining 2 Tbsp spice blend and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes. Add in the rotel tomatoes, and green chilies, saute for 5 minutes
- Add in the chicken broth, and seasoned chicken. Put lid on and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. Remove chicken from pot and shred.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream. Add in the beans, corn, and shredded chicken. Turn heat to medium heat and bring chili to a simmer. Add in the lime juice, season to taste. Garnish as desired.
- Do steps 1 and 2
- Transfer the mixture from step 2 into a 8-quart slow cooker. Proceed with step 3 in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is tender about 4 to 6 hours. Then stir in the sour cream and lime juice. Season to taste with salt. Serve in bowl.
- Shred the chicken. Stir in the corn and beans, cook until warm about 10 minutes.
- Then stir in the sour cream and lime juice. Season to taste with salt. Serve in bowl.