Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1.5 pounds ground sweet sausage can do half and half mix with spicy and sweet
- 8 oz portabello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 10 oz refrigerated cheese tortellinis
- 5 oz baby kale
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook Italian sausage in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until browned, crumbling it as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked sausage to a separate plate and set aside.** Reserve two tablespoons of grease in the pan, discarding the rest.
- Stir in onions and carrots, and saute for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour until it’s evenly coating the veggies, and cook for an additional 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually add in the chicken stock, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked kale, tortellini, kale, heavy cream and milk, and continue simmering for 4-5 minutes, or until the tortellini is al dente.
- Taste, and season with salt and pepper to taste. (I added in about 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.)